Now that the triathlon season has started, everyone at our club is in training for something. “In training” is only a short phrase, but it means a huge amount. It’s when a carefree fitness regime becomes a structured program with a goal. It almost becomes a way of life.
How many of you recognise some of these signs telling you that you are “in training”?
- You can’t remember the last time you were still in bed at 7.00am.
- You are always hungry.
- When someone asks you out socially you check what’s on your training schedule the next morning before accepting.
- Your trousers start to feel looser.
- You struggle to keep pace with the constant stream of laundry.
- You find yourself looking on the side of food packaging for calorie, carbohydrate and protein information.
- That wine bottle in the fridge has remained untouched for a week.
- You find yourself eating porridge for breakfast – even in the middle of summer.
- You are ready for bed at 8.00pm
- You see more of your sports masseuse than you do of your friends.